IZH Jupiter 3 restoration in France.!

FERET

IZH Jupiter 3 restoration in France.!

Сообщение FERET »

Good morning all,

I am in France, in Reims (Champagne), and the happy owner of a 1973 IZH Jupiter 3 from Latvia.
I still don't write or speak Russian, so I hope you can translate from English ...
However, this motorcycle was imported to France in 1973/1974 in very few copies I suppose, I was 16 years old, and I remember perfectly being seduced by its completely extraordinary aesthetic!
This bike was complete, but when I took it apart for full restoration, I quickly realized that it was in pretty bad condition.
I started looking for all the parts and took a tour of Europe:
Turkey, Romania, Ukraine, Poland, especially Bulgaria (Motor bike.bg) and also in Russia in Kirov at Motaki.
I found everything and I reassemble the engine, all the parts of the motorcycle have been disassembled, cleaned, put under primer and I am waiting for the favorable conditions to paint it (blue and gray) as originally.
On the other hand, many worries with the mechanics: badly surfaced crankshaft crankcaces, worn crankshafts, pistons to be changed, cylinders to be bored, pitted fork tubes ...

So much for the presentation, I will need advice because the only owner of this bike that I know is not a mechanic at all, I have the workshop manual in English, but it is not always enough.

In any case, even if she gives me a lot of concern, she is endearing, and I will get the job done!

Good weekend for all.
Ed
Злобный Модератор
Контактная информация:

Re: IZH Jupiter 3 restoration in France.!

Сообщение Ed »

:beer:
Кто ищет тот всегда найдёт !
Сисадмины делятся на тех, кто не делает бэкапы, и тех кто, их уже делает =)
FERET

Сообщение FERET »

Please, is there an assembly direction for the crankshaft flywheel?
When I lock the flywheel screw at 170 Newton / meter, the crankshaft is more difficult to turn than before tightening. In
turning over the flywheel is already much better.
Me and motorcycle

Сообщение Me and motorcycle »

Feret, hallo, bro!
You know, in jupiter the most particular unit is the crankshaft flywheel.
We have much troubles with that ourself.
You are rigt about 170 Newton / meter. If you will lock with lower tightening torque, the unit will break down very soon.
When I lock the flywheel screw at 170 Newton / meter, the crankshaft is more difficult to turn than before tightening. In
turning over the flywheel is already much better.
Of coarse, this shouldn't be.
Make shure that the crankcase halves and crank chamber covers have THE SAME number (three digits) stamped on the four pieces.
You must assemle the covers and engine halves as carefully as possible.
I can send you some russian manuals if you wish.
And we can understand better your problem and your repair method if you put some foto and/or video here.
Не меняй свой Юпитер на Харлей Девидсон!
Me and motorcycle

Кароче, посоны. Он восстанавливает юпитер 3, раскидал все до винтика и хочет красить в оригинальный серо-голубой.
Сейчас у него проблемы с маховиком двигателя. Собрал движок, затягивает болт маховика 170 нм и коленвал начинает туго вращаться.
Отпускает - все норм.
Пишу пусть крышки и картерины по номерам проверит, ну и поаккуратнее штоб, самый ответственный узел все таки.
FERET

Сообщение FERET »

Many thanks for your reply...

The crankshaft ends, at the place of key location, are not

Indeed, the crankcase are marked with the same letter, and the crank chamber covers too. On the other hand, I noticed that these covers must be changed in pairs, otherwise we get a small difference in the alignment of the crankshaft ends !!!
I have a Jupiter 2 engine in bad condition ( Crankcase are not exactly the same and are worn out) for spare parts, and I had to use both covers of this engine, because when disassembling my engine I found the left cover with 2 broken mounting ears (probably due to poor disassembly).

I'm waiting for two Chinese crankshafts and the oil seals to rebuilt the engine. The crankshafts have a little play at the connecting rod bearing, and the ends that go into the flywheel are a little marked at the location of the keys. A blow of the hammer badly placed to drive in the key I suppose ... This may explain my concerns when tightening the flywheel?

We will see when reassembling the crankshafts that is better, but for the direction of installation of the flywheel, does it matter? On Russian videos, people install it one way or the other ...

Yesterday to take my mind off things, I painted the parts in gray: headlight, toolbox doors and gas tank. As soon as I find out how to put pictures, I'll post some.

By the way, which oil in the gearbox: SAE 50 or rather SAE 75W80 or 80w90?

Thanks again!
Me and motorcycle

and the ends that go into the flywheel are a little marked at the location of the keys. A blow of the hammer badly placed to drive in the key I suppose ... This may explain my concerns when tightening the flywheel?
The crankshaft ends, at the place of key location must be in ideal state ( clean, plain, smooth, without rust and defects) as the crankshaft flywheel hole .
On the other hand, I noticed that these covers must be changed in pairs, otherwise we get a small difference in the alignment of the crankshaft ends !!!
If all four parts have the same number - two halves and two covers, how could the change happen?
all four main bearing seats are processed on a boring machine in assembled state and therefore get the unique number.
which oil in the gearbox: SAE 50 or rather SAE 75W80 or 80w90?
we never use transmission oil in our IZHes)) it is too viscous for the clutch.
I use for example mineral oil sae 15 or sae 20.
Somebody use ATF oil as well. But I didn't try it.
but for the direction of installation of the flywheel, does it matter? On Russian videos, people install it one way or the other ...
i.jpg
The right direction!
FERET

Сообщение FERET »

On the other hand, I noticed that these covers must be changed in pairs, otherwise we get a small difference in the alignment of the crankshaft ends !!!
If all four parts have the same number - two halves and two covers, how could the change happen?
all four main bearing seats are processed on a boring machine in assembled state and therefore get the unique number.
[/quote]

Yes, on my engine all the numbers match, but two of the four fixing ears are broken. So I started off by using one of the two other covers I have, from second engine, and soon saw that the crankshaft ends were out of alignment 1/2mm.
I finally took the two covers from the second engine. The numbers of this engine (Jupiter 2) are 21 and 48. On one of the covers we have: 21 and 48, and on the second one we have "18-2" and 48 and 2 ...
As I saw that we can find these covers as new , I think that we can possibly mount them in pairs in such or such engine?
If I'm still having trouble reassembling my engine, I'll try to find two second hand crankcases with their covers, but I don't know if this is easily found.

Thank you again for all these details.
FERET

Сообщение FERET »

Yes, on my engine all the numbers match, but two of the four fixing ears are broken. So I started off by using one of the two other covers I have, from second engine, and soon saw that the crankshaft ends were out of alignment 1/2mm.
I finally took the two covers from the second engine. The numbers of this engine (Jupiter 2) are 21 and 48. On one of the covers we have: 21 and 48, and on the second one we have "18-2" and 48 and 2 ...
As I saw that we can find these covers as new , I think that we can possibly mount them in pairs in such or such engine?
If I'm still having trouble reassembling my engine, I'll try to find two second hand crankcases with their covers, but I don't know if this is easily found.

[/quote]
FERET

Сообщение FERET »

[/quote]
[/quote]
Ответить